RegisterRegister 

HNA 2015: Day 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AHApoetry Forums Forum Index -> Welcome

William Kenney Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: HNA 2015: Day 3

Saturday morning, and while you are undoubtedly sleeping late, we are up at the crack of dawn (in fact, it hasn't quite cracked yet) to be ready for

9:00 AM

Jim Kacian moderates a panel discussion on haiga. Ion Codrescu articulates his view that text and image, while not merely repetitions or illustrations of each other, are to combine to form an organic whole. Garry Gay gives us the insights of a professional photographer. Jessica Tremblay, creator of Old Pond Comics (Haiku Foundation), provides an engagingly eccentric perspective.

10:00 AM

Susan Antolin affirms "The Aesthetic Value of Understatement in Haiku," casting an eye over both traditional and experimental haiku. I'm honored that she finds an instance of effective understatement in a haiku by your humble correspondent. I'll humbly post it at Showcase.

In another location Patrick Gallagher tells the story of "the Yuki Teikei Haiku Society A Unique Introduction of Haiku to North America."

10:45 AM

Mary Stevens's presentation "The Cicada's Voice" has the provocative subtitle "How the Wabi-Sabi Aesthetic Can Teach Us How To Live." Useful knowledge, I'd say. Mary's talk is illustrated by photos by Tom Clausen.

I have to mention that, writing these notes, I'm tempted repeatedly to add after each name a comment like "wonderful person," "great guy," and the like. I'll just say it this one time as applicable to everyone whose name I mention.

"Poets first encountering renku can easily become overwhelmed and discouraged," says John Stevenson. "But it doesn't have to be that way." Quoting Masahisa (Shinku) Fukuda: "First it has to be fun." Hence the title of John's presentation: "Renku for Fun."

11:30 AM

Roberta Beary reads from her book "Deflection" to show how haiku and related forms "Pay It Forward," the title of her presentation.

In "The Vertical Axis in Haibun" Beverly Acuff Momoi examines how successful contemporary haibun operate on two axes and discusses strategies for writing haibun. One of the successful haibun discussed is by Kala Ramesh.

2:00 PM

Penny Harter takes us "From Free Verse to Haibun," pointing out that some of her successful haibun began life as not quite successful free verse poems.

And the education theme returns in Claudia Coutu Radmore's "Haiku in Education: Literary Haibun." Literary haibun are haibun inspired by literary sources. Writing these haibun, she suggests, can enrich the experience of the original work for students.

2:45 PM

Shiki is the least translated of the Japanese haiku masters, says, Charlie Trumbull, and, in "Translating Shiki," he asks why. Along the way, we take a look at some representative examples of the attempt to translate this poet.

Julie Warther introduces us to the Midwest Haiku Path in Millburg, Ohio. (New to me.) She discusses the how-to aspects of its creation and its possible future applications for increasing haiku awareness and [that word again] education."

3:45 PM

We gather for the group photograph. References to herding cats are heard.

4:00 PM

"Colors of Japan," a concert featuring Zakuro-Daiko, the Union College Japanese Drumming Ensemble.Wow.

And, at 4:30 PM, a farewell to Union College, spoken by Hilary Tann. I think we all come away with a deep respect for this venerable institution (founded in 1795!)

7:00 PM

The Haiku North America 2015 Banquet

An appearance by Haiku Elvis. Elvis and Chris Colon are never seen together. Just sayin'.

Remarks from Red Pine, including a reading from his latest book and a list of 10 reasons to write haiku; maybe he'll try it.

And the announcement of the time and place of Haiku North America 2017. (Drumroll) Santa Fe New Mexico.

Pat and I go to Santa Fe every year. In 2017 we'll go twice. See you there?

Best, Bill K

Rebecca Drouilhet Reply with quote
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject:

This sounds marvelous. I so envy you getting to see this and meet these people in person, but it's a good envy.

Dawn Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject:

Fantastic reports Bill! I'm so enjoying them.
Dawn
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AHApoetry Forums Forum Index -> Welcome
Page 1 of 1

Choose Display Order
User Permissions
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Jump to:  

Skin Created by: Sigma12